today we are going to prepare chicken tandoori in oven.
Preparation : 30 minutes + marinating time ;
Cooking Time : 25 minutes @ 550 F
Chicken – 1.5 lb / 680 gm / 5 leg piece
Low fat Yogurt / Curd – 1 cup
Onion – 1 (small around 57 gm)
Lime – 1/2
Garlic – 1 clove
Ginger – 1/2 inch (size of garlic), peel the skin off
Green Chili – 2
Gram Masala – 1 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp or as per taste
Red food color + Orange Food Color (kesari powder) – few large drops
Jelly roll pan or cookie tray.
Pastry brush (optional)
- Wash the chicken legs.
- Let the water drain and place them on a large plate
- . Do not remove the skin part, it will actually protect the flesh when you bake.
- Create 2 slits on each side of the leg.
- The knife needs to touch the bone which means the slit is nice deep and big.
- This will help the marinade to penetrate into the chicken.
- Squeeze 1/2 lime into a bowl.
- To the lime juice, add 1/2 tsp salt.
- Mix it well so that the salt dissolves.
- Nowtake 1 leg piece at a time, take some lime juice and massage the chicken on both sides
- Using a spoon or your hand add few drops of lime juice into the slits and massage it.
- Repeat with other chicken piece.
- By the time you massage the last piece you would have very less juice, but that’s ok.
- Place them back on a plate and
- refrigerate it for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender/mixie, add yogurt/curd, garam masala, ginger, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, green chili, sliced
onion and grind it to a smooth paste.
- You might want to ensure that there are no small chunks of garlic or onion.
- Please feel free to adjust salt as per your taste. I have added extra salt to the paste.
- Now take the chicken from the refrigerator.
- Remember the bowl that you used to squeeze lime,.
- add few drops of food color and few drops of water
- . Using your hand or brush, rub the food color on the chicken piece.
- Remember to rub in between the slits as well.
- Now your chicken will look all red. Don’t panic.
- Pour the marinade in a large bowl or a freezer bag.
- Add one chicken piece at a time and massage the paste into the slits and on both sides and leave it in the bowl/bag.
- Repeat. Now close the bowl or zip the freezer bag.
- Give a nice shake and keep them back in the refrigerator.
- Now you can forget about the chicken at least for 8 hrs or one whole day.
- I usually marinate it a day before and let it soak for one whole day.
- More you marinate better the taste.
- Next day: Clean up your oven (if you have any pots and pans in it) and preheat it to 550 F (that is the maximum
I can set in my oven).
- Take your cookie/jelly pan.
- Line it with aluminum foil generously.
- Take the marinated chicken out of your refrigerator, remove one leg piece and shake it up.
- Let the marinade drip completely.
- Place it on the cookie sheet/pan (ensure that the skin part covers the chicken).
- Repeat the same with other chickenpieces.
- Using your oven mitts, carefully place the tray into the center rack of the oven.
- Set the timer for 15 minutes.
- Let it cook.
- Then use your oven mitts again and pull the tray out.
- paste it with marinade using a brush or a spoon or something else but not your hand and put it back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Let the juices run out.
- Don’t worry if the juices around the chicken starts burning. At this extreme temperature it has to.
- When the oven timer starts beeping, pull the tray out and let it cool slightly.
- Slowly take the chicken pieces.
- If it is stuck to the foil, no problem.
- Remember I asked you to leave the skin part as is.
- So only the skin part might be sticking to it and the flesh part will still be safe Thats it, lip-smacking restaurant style
tandoori chicken is ready to serve.
- Wrap the bone part with small piece of aluminum foil to give a gourmet look.
- Serve it with sliced onion, greenchili, lime/lemon wedges and a spicy green chutney.
You can use Chicken breast or thighs, but the cooking time will vary as the breast will cook faster than the
Notes:You can use the remaining marinade to make curries like Tandoori chicken masala or Paneer Masala else you can
freeze it and use it to make another batch of Tandoori Chicken.
Maximum temperature settings in a oven varies from place to place. I came to know that 500 F is maximum
in some oven. In that case set it to maximum and you might want to bake it little longer. But watch out the
chicken, you really don’t want to burn it or make it dry. Best Tandoori Chicken should be little hard on the
outside (you should have a crust basically) and soft and juicy in the inside. So when you reach that
consistency, turn off the oven.