How to make Gluten Free Crumpets:-
Yield: 3-4 servings
cook time: 1 minute
prep time: 2-3 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free plain flour>
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Butter and gluten-free jam, to serve
- Whisk flour, yeast, sugar, milk and 3/4 cup warm water in a bowl until smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Leave to prove in a warm place for 1 hour 30 minutes or until light and foamy .
- Place 2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Brush egg rings with oil.
- Place in pan.
- Heat over medium heat until hot.
- Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each ring.
- Cook for 7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Turn crumpets over and remove rings.
- Cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate. Cover to keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining batter, brushing rings with oil between each batch.
- Serve crumpets with butter and jam.
- Do not stir the mixture once it has proved as it will lose its lightness, and the crumpets will not rise as well.
- Heating the pan before each batch is important, as it helps crumpets to rise.
- Store the crumpets in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Reheat in the toaster.
For recipes classified gluten free, please always check your ingredients to ensure they do not contain gluten.